Saturday, February 18, 2017

Fist Fight (2017)


IMDb plot summary: When one school teacher gets the other fired, he is challenged to an after-school fight.
Directed by Richie Keen. Starring Charlie Day, Ice Cube, Tracy Morgan, and Jillian Bell.

I had pretty low expectations going into this, and those turned out to be pretty much right. I don't have a particular immediate fondness for the Charlie Day persona, and having him as the central character of this little comedy did very little for me. The concept is pretty ridiculous to begin with, and then it does that sort of awkward escalation of jokes where, before you know it, the main characters are covered in paint or climbing in each other's windows because the plot demands it. The editing is also off, with each joke shot held just a little too long. There are one or two funny jokes, but those are in the middle of a pretty messy flick.

1 star.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Fist Fight < The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
Fist Fight < Special
Fist Fight > Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
Fist Fight > John Q.
Fist Fight < Flightplan
Fist Fight < Saw
Fist Fight > I Accuse My Parents
Fist Fight < The Robe
Fist Fight > A Prairie Home Companion
Fist Fight < Show Boat (1951)

Final spot: #2069 out of 2578.

No comments: