Wednesday, January 7, 2015

You Can Count on Me (2000)


IMDb plot summary: A single mother's life is thrown into turmoil after her struggling, rarely-seen younger brother returns to town.
Directed by Kenneth Lonergan. Starring Laura Linney, Mark Ruffalo, Matthew Broderick, and Rory Culkin.

This is a good movie, no doubt about that, but it's one of those movies that is solid throughout and doesn't leave much of an impression on me afterward, so I'm not sure how much I'll remember about this in a year. That being said, though, it *is* well-done. It's the only time I've thought Mark Ruffalo could maybe act, for one thing. He really embodies the character in a way that makes him very interesting to watch. I'm with the crew who is a little surprised he didn't get an Oscar nod for this. Laura Linney did, and she is, of course, also very good, but then she always is. This is also the first time Matthew Broderick has impressed me in a LONG time. The interactions between the characters are fascinating to watch, thanks to their acting and a good script. I'm not sure there are any standout moments for me, but it's definitely worth watching and I'm glad I saw it.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #663 out of 2292, below The Thief of Bagdad and above La jetee.

No comments: