Monday, January 26, 2015

The Last Airbender (2010)


IMDb plot summary: The story follows the adventures of Aang, a young successor to a long line of Avatars, who must put his childhood ways aside and stop the Fire Nation from enslaving the Water, Earth and Air nations.
Directed by M. Night Shyamalan. Starring Noah Ringer, Dev Patel, Nicola Peltz, and Jackson Rathbone.

Much like the Dragonball movie which I watched last week, I went into this with not a LOT of knowledge of Avatar. I've tried to watch it a couple times but couldn't get into it at all. 90% of my awareness of it comes from when my siblings or Jacob watched it and I caught glimpses of it or heard them talk about it. So I can't really speak to how this compares to the series.

That being said, this was mostly just dull. Most of it is bad actors explaining the story to each other, with one or two mildly cool-looking fight scenes that are then slowed way down and stretched out far too long. Also, it made me a little crazy that there was no consensus on how to pronounce the word "avatar." Like, more than anything else that was wrong with this movie, that was ridiculous.

I've heard people complain that the story is too rushed, which, uh, is what happens when you try to cram a whole bunch of TV episodes into one movie, but as someone who doesn't know the story at all, I thought the plot was actually pretty coherent and decently-paced. It was just told in the most boring manner possible.

1 star.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Last Airbender < The Madness of King George
The Last Airbender < The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)
The Last Airbender < Man of the Year
The Last Airbender > A Cinderella Story
The Last Airbender > Yours, Mine & Ours (2005)
The Last Airbender > The Rules of the Game
The Last Airbender < Monster House
The Last Airbender > Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron
The Last Airbender < The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
The Last Airbender > Loving Annabelle
Final spot: #2045 out of 2309.

No comments: