Thursday, January 22, 2015

Dragonball: Evolution (2009)


IMDb plot summary: The young warrior Son Goku sets out on a quest, racing against time and the vengeful King Piccolo, to collect a set of seven magical orbs that will grant their wielder unlimited power.
Directed by James Wong. Starring Justin Chatwin, Yun-Fat Chow, Emmy Rossum, and Jamie Chung.

OK, let me start off by saying I have never seen or read any Dragonball anything before. Most of the seething hatred comes from Dragonball fans, so it appears to be a really bad adaptation, but I had no idea who any of these characters were or how the story goes down in the series, so I'm going to be commenting purely from a newbie's viewpoint.

And... well, it's not good. It's not as awful as I expected it to be -- there are a couple fun moments, and hey, that's James Marsters as the bad guy, and he's pretty cool. But the characters really fall apart. There are a lot of them, they have no development, they come to obvious realizations WAYYYYY too late, and they're given some pretty stupid things to say. With some more enjoyable characters, this could have been a silly but entertaining fantasy adventure story, but they apparently didn't bother with that.

So it's definitely sloppy, but I didn't loathe it. I would much rather watch this than the last movie I saw with James Marsters in it (P.S. I Love You).

1 star.

Flickchart: #1836 out of 2306, below Enough and above Detour.

No comments: