Friday, January 16, 2015

Like Crazy (2011)


IMDb plot summary: A British college student falls for an American student, only to be separated from him when she's banned from the U.S. after overstaying her visa.
Directed by Drake Doremus. Starring Anton Yelchin, Felicity Jones, Jennifer Lawrence, and Charlie Bewley.

(Spoilers about the movie's resolution.)

I'm... so torn on this. On one hand, I didn't find either of the main characters particularly likable, but maybe that's because I saw the impossibility of their relationship early on and found myself distressed at how they kept, as one of them said, "stopping and starting." Their indecision and inability to move forward with their lives was... frustrating for me.

On the other hand, though, I was so satisfied with how the film portrayed the final scenes. The silent, non-ecstatic ending reminded me so much of an extended version of The Graduate's final few seconds -- after the ecstasy of getting what you thought you wanted, you realize that maybe all that effort wasn't actually what you really wanted. I was so worried that it was going to end with some sort of fairy tale happy ending, when it seemed clear to me that moving on would be the healthiest thing for them both.

I think it is a good movie, but not necessarily an enjoyable one for me. So we'll see where it gets ranked.

3 stars.

Flickchart: #960 out of 2300, below Must Love Dogs and above The Avengers.

No comments: