Thursday, January 15, 2015

True Romance (1993)


IMDb plot summary: Clarence marries hooker Alabama, steals cocaine from her pimp, and tries to sell it in Hollywood, while the owners of the coke try to reclaim it.
Directed by Tony Scott. Starring Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Dennis Hopper, and Val Kilmer.

(Very very mild spoilers that would be spoiled by reading the summary anyway.)

The Bonnie-and-Clyde-style relationship between Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette is the most interesting thing for me in this film, and it's what keeps it from becoming a boring drug crime action movie (a genre that never intrigues me much). Instead, the action really does revolve around their relationship, which is insanely optimistic, so even in the midst of torture scenes and deadly shoot-outs, there's an unusually lighthearted tone.

Of course, the score has a lot to do with this. I couldn't decide at first whether I loved or hated the score, which had a cheerful little tune playing in the background of some scenes I thought would be treated more dramatically. In the end, I think it managed to sustain an enjoyable mood on through some very dark sequences, so I think it worked.

I wouldn't say I loved this, but I liked it enough.

3 stars.

Flickchart: #1102 out of 2298, below A Little Night Music and above The Slipper and the Rose.

No comments: