Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Nativity! (2009)


IMDb plot summary: An improvised comedy based around a school nativity play.
Directed by Debbie Isitt. Starring Martin Freeman, Marc Wootton, Jason Watkins, and Ashley Jensen.

Well, this movie was ever so silly but charming and adorable. About ten minutes in, I was pretty sure I was going to love it, and I just kept liking it all the way through. I'm not sure it would have worked quite as well if someone other than Martin Freeman were in the lead role, as he plays a terrifically likable and relatable main character, as well as offering some of the most entertaining lines throughout. Jason Watkins as the antagonistic director of the rival school's nativity play is also really funny. The supporting cast is less amazing, but it all comes together as a very sweet, very silly holiday musical for families. Apparently there's a sequel with David Tennant, who I love even more than Martin Freeman, so I'm mildly interested to see that one as well, because if it's anywhere near as fun as this one, I'll definitely enjoy it. (There's also a third, but no one I really care about is in it, so that one gets a pass.) This was a delightful surprise and a great way to kick off Joseph's movie week.

4 stars.

Flickchart: #430 out of 2291, below The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall and above Big Hero 6.

No comments: