Friday, January 16, 2015

Welcome to Dongmakgol (2005)


IMDb plot summary: Soldiers from both sides of the Korean divide live among villagers who know nothing of the war.
Directed by Kwang-Hyun Park. Starring Jae-yeong Jeong, Ha-kyun Shin, Hye-jeong Kang, and Ha-ryong Lim.

(Spoilers about the tone of the ending.)

Oh, this is beautiful. This is another example of a genre that tends to get very distant with its characters, but here, it's so easy to get pulled into the drama, and the characters are vivid and fascinating and delightful. The visuals are absolutely gorgeous as well -- some of the most beautiful are actually in the final dark, violent scene. It's one of those movies that builds slowly but is captivating every moment. I'm really glad this was assigned to me for my movie challenge, because I'm not sure I would have watched it otherwise, and I would be missing out.

4.5 stars.

Flickchart: #246 out of 2299, below Reefer Madness (2005) and above Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius.

No comments: