Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933)


IMDb plot summary: A new crime wave grips the city and all clues seem to lead to the nefarious Dr. Mabuse, even though he has been imprisoned in a mental asylum for nearly a decade.
Directed by Fritz Lang. Starring Rudolf Klein-Rogge, Gustav Diessl, Rudolf Schündler, and Oskar Höcker.

(Some spoilers about general plot points.)

I should definitely check out more by Lang. I've seen so little of his filmography but I am kind of intrigued by all of them. This one definitely has parts I liked and parts I didn't -- I was less interested in the organized crime ring sections but I LOVED all the weird stuff with hypnosis and ghosts and all that weirdness. The visuals in this are great as well, really creating an eerie atmosphere. It's not my favorite movie or anything, but it definitely caught my attention.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #834 out of 2200, below Adam and above The Man Who Wasn't There.

No comments: