Thursday, August 7, 2014

Frances Ha (2012)


IMDB plot summary: A story that follows a New York woman (who doesn't really have an apartment), apprentices for a dance company (though she's not really a dancer), and throws herself headlong into her dreams, even as their possibility dwindles.
Directed by Noah Baumbach. Starring Greta Gerwig, Mickey Sumner, Adam Driver, and Michael Zegen.

I'd heard comparisons between Frances Ha and the French New Wave (a movement I have always had a VERY tough time connecting to) and I can definitely see similarities, but to me it had the comforting familiarity of a Woody Allen flick. While it didn't blow me away, I felt an instant kinship with Frances, feeling like in many ways we're in the same phase of life -- we're both 27, in a weird place between school and an actual career path, losing touch with old friends, wanting to do something more and bigger with their lives but not really sure how to go about it practically with the resources we have right now.

I'm not sure I was satisfied with the film's resolution. It didn't quite reach the heights I was expecting, given how I felt about the rest of the movie. And I'm not sure I would have liked this as much a few years ago, or maybe a few years from now. This is one that I liked because it had a connection to me in my life, right now, and seeing that explored on the screen was interesting and encouraging.

Sorry for not so much actual helpful observation on the movie, but this is definitely one that resonates for me on a subjective personal level more than anything else.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #638 out of 2193, below Shaolin Soccer and above Away We Go.

No comments: