Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Lost in America (1985)


IMDb plot summary: A husband and wife in their 30s decide to quit their jobs, live as free spirits and cruise America in a Winnebago.
Directed by Albert Brooks. Starring Albert Brooks, Julie Hagerty, Michael Green, and Gary Marshall.

(Spoilers about the ending.)

I've seen a couple other Albert Brooks movies before, and the word I always come back to in describing them is "pleasant." And this is that as well. It's a quiet, mellow little movie with quiet, mellow little humor that doesn't particularly excite me but it doesn't distress me either. It's an enjoyable watch. I do have to say, though, that I really enjoyed the subversive ending of this movie. So many "we're going to risk it all and run off to find ourselves" movies end the same way. I really enjoyed seeing it just all go down the drain and leave them wishing they'd never taken a chance in the first place. It just made me smile. Other than that, it's a pretty forgettable movie, but certainly not one I regret seeing at all. I had a good time.

3 stars.

Flickchart: #912 out of 2207, below The Avengers and above Unbreakable. That's fun that it's sandwiched in between two superhero movies.

No comments: