Monday, August 4, 2014

Monsoon Wedding (2001)


IMDb plot summary: A stressed father, a bride-to-be with a secret, a smitten event planner, and relatives from around the world create much ado about the preparations for an arranged marriage in India.
Directed by Mira Nair. Starring Naseeruddin Shah, Lillete Dubey, Shefali Shetty, and Vijay Raaz.

This movie took a little while to really draw me in, and like all ensemble films, there are plotlines I'm more drawn to than others, but by the end I was really engaged in the story and cared a lot about all the different characters. I was especially moved by Ria's story and very nearly cheered out loud when it was resolved. I do appreciate that the movie stays quiet and subtle, without pushing too hard for flashy or unbelievable happy endings, while still managing to resolve the stories I cared about the most.

4 stars.

Flickchart: #552 out of 2189, below The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934) and above An Education.

No comments: