Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Heathers (1988)


IMDb plot summary: A girl who half-heartedly tries to be part of the "in crowd" of her school meets a rebel who teaches her a more devious way to play social politics; killing the popular kids.
Directed by Michael Lehmann. Starring Winona Ryder, Christian Slater, Shannen Doherty, Lisanne Falk, and Kim Walker.

OK, so just a week before watching this for the first time, I got to watch a bootleg video of the recently closed off-Broadway musical version... and looooooooved it. Like can't-stop-listening-to-the-cast-recording loved it. So even though I knew this one came first, I wasn't sure what I was going to think of it in comparison to the show.

I didn't need to worry, though, because this is a really solid and entertaining movie. Christian Slater's character is awesomely psychotic and is really fascinating to watch, and Winona Ryder is an extremely likeable and sympathetic main character. The script is excellent, with dialogue that is snappy and at times profound. ("If you were happy every day of your life, you wouldn't be a human being. You'd be a game show host.") It manages to achieve a fantastic balance of dark comedy with meaningful moments -- and I am all about that combination.

I feel like this could easily become a favorite right alongside the musical. I'm glad I finally got around to watching it.

4.5 stars.

Flickchart: #291 out of 2206, below Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and above Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

No comments: