Monday, July 20, 2026

Wonka (2023)

IMDb plot summary: With dreams of opening a shop in a city renowned for its chocolate, a young and poor Willy Wonka discovers that the industry is run by a cartel of greedy chocolatiers.
Directed by Paul King. Stars Timothée Chalamet, Gustave Die, and Murray McArthur.

Wonka is a Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory prequel, starring Timothee Chalamet as the famous chocolatier, who arrives in town ready to set up a shop with his inventive treats. He has to battle the established conglomerate of chocolatiers who already dominate the town, and they are determined to keep him from breaking through. This is a much better movie than frankly it has any right to be. Starting from the intro song, which is cheery and tells us all we need to know about our character and the world he's in, I knew I was in for a treat. I am going to go out on a limb here and say this is Timothee Chalamet's best performance -- he radiates charm here in a way I've literally never seen in any of his other performances. The big picture story is generic, but the dialogue and characterization is so charmingly written that it doesn't make much difference. This was a huge surprise to me, and I'm pleased I finally watched it.

🎥 Wonka (2023)
📊 Ranked #707/4262 on my Flickchart
🎯 Flickscore™: 83

beat Raising Arizona (#2150 → #2152)
beat Twister (#1099 → #1101)
lost to A Letter to Three Wives (held at #567)
beat The Butler (#835 → #836)
lost to Waking Ned (#703 → #704)
lost to Labyrinth (#771 → #773)
lost to Drunken Angel (#802 → #690)
beat Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Undead (#819 → #835)
lost to The Manchurian Candidate (#811 → #812)
beat Great Expectations (#815 → #817)
beat Cloud Atlas (#813 → #819)
beat New York, New York (#812 → #816)

No comments: