Monday, July 20, 2026

St. Vincent (2014)


IMDb plot summary: A young boy whose parents have just divorced finds an unlikely friend and mentor in the misanthropic, bawdy, hedonistic war veteran who lives next door.
Directed by Theodore Melfi. Stars Bill Murray, Melissa McCarthy, and Naomi Watts.

St. Vincent stars Bill Murray as a crotchety hermit who finds himself a semi-unwilling babysitter for his new neighbor's young child. The two form a friendship and begin to learn new things about each other. "Cranky old man has life changed by child" is almost never going to be a subgenre that I'm drawn to, even when it's fairly competently made, as this one is. Bill Murray is a good choice for this main character, as he's especially good at capturing both likability and grumpiness. But even he can carry this concept only so far, and I'm not fully convinced by the character growth. I think I'd have to be more sold on the idea from the beginning for this to work, but as it is, it's just okay. Worth watching if the story or the actors hold immediate appeal for you.

🎥 St. Vincent (2014)
📊 Ranked #1973/4257 on my Flickchart
🎯 Flickscore™: 55

lost to I Love You, Man (#2148 → #2031)
beat Gigi (#3212 → #3213)
beat The Asphalt Jungle (#2671 → #2672)
beat In the Mood for Love (#2415 → #2416)
beat Deceiver (#2282 → #2283)
beat Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (#2219 → #2220)
beat Blackmail Is My Life (#2185 → #2186)
beat Mr. Nice Guy (#2164 → #2165)
lost to The Lost Skeleton Returns Again (#2156 → #2157)
beat The Matrix Reloaded (#2160 → #2161)
beat Lenny (#2158 → #2159)
lost to Laal Singh Chaddha (#2157 → #2158)

No comments: