IMDb plot summary: An orphan who lives with his two cruel aunts befriends anthropomorphic bugs who live inside a giant peach, and they embark on a journey to New York City.
Directed by Henry Selick. Stars Paul Terry, Joanna Lumley, and Pete Postlethwaite.
James and the Giant Peach is a partially animated adaptation of the Roald Dahl book of the same name. It tells the story of a young neglected boy named James who finds camaraderie with a group of bugs that live inside the mysteriously enormous peach that started growing in his yard. While I have occasionally enjoyed reading Roald Dahl, there is an ickiness to his stories that always comes out in the worst way in adaptations, and that ickiness is extremely present for me in this movie. The animation is truly so unsettling, and it's clearly a stylistic choice so I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it makes *me* extremely not want to watch it. The script is also dumbed down enough for children that there isn't much depth here for me to latch onto in the story. I get why kids may have latched onto the quirky dark vibe, but it just feels gross to me. Not one I have any interest in rewatching at any point.
🎥 James and the Giant Peach (1996)
📊 Ranked #2993/4267 on my Flickchart
🎯 Flickscore™: 33
lost to The Adam Project (#2113 → #2010)
lost to Captain Marvel (#3214 → #3051)
beat Bohemian Rhapsody (#3766 → #3772)
lost to The Cocoanuts (#3485 → #3433)
beat Cinderella (#3624 → #3628)
lost to Get Smart (#3559 → #3496)
beat Hangman's Curse (#3592 → #3596)
beat A Most Wanted Man (#3576 → #3577)
lost to The Secret Agent (#3543 → #2992)
lost to Basic Instinct (#3571 → #3569)
beat A Decade Under the Influence (#3574 → #3590)
beat Arlington Road (#3573 → #3550)

No comments:
Post a Comment