Sunday, July 19, 2026

Nirvanna the Band the Show the Movie (2025)

IMDb plot summary: When their plan to book a show at the Rivoli goes horribly wrong, Matt and Jay accidentally travel back to the year 2008.
Directed by Matt Johnson. Stars Matt Johnson, Jay McCarrol, and Ben Petrie.

Nirvanna the Band the Show the Movie is based on Nirvanna the Band the Show, a Canadian comedy show about Nirvanna the Band, a two-person musical act that is desperate to find fame at any cost. I've never seen the show, but it was pretty easy to hop into this and feel like I was already familiar with the characters and storyline. I don't know if this is common in the original show, but I really enjoyed the surprise left turn into a more fantastical line of story. There's a comfort to these characters that bleeds through even to someone unfamiliar with them, and that makes their interactions more compelling than I expected. The creative Back to the Future-style shenanigans in the final third especially are a ton of fun. It's not a world-changing movie by any means, but I had a good time with it.

🎥 Nirvanna the Band the Show the Movie (2026)
📊 Ranked #1174/4260 on my Flickchart
🎯 Flickscore™: 73

beat Cat's Eye (held at #2152)
beat Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (#1099 → #1100)
lost to A Letter to Three Wives (#566 → #567)
lost to The Scarlet Pimpernel (#834 → #710)
beat Raya and the Last Dragon (#965 → #969)
lost to Music and Lyrics (#900 → #901)
lost to Heavenly Creatures (#933 → #931)
beat Mixed Nuts (#949 → #1008)
lost to The Great Silence (#941 → #936)
beat Will & Harper (#945 → #1007)
beat Feet First (#943 → #941)
beat Children of Men (#942 → #1015)

No comments: