Thursday, July 23, 2026

Parenthood (1989)

IMDb plot summary: Four Buckman siblings attempt to raise their children - each in their own different style - and deal with the joys and sorrows that the process brings.
Directed by Ron Howard. Stars Steve Martin, Mary Steenburgen, and Dianne Wiest.

Parenthood is an ensemble comedy/drama film about, well, parenthood, starring, among others, Steve Martin, Mary Steenburgen, and Rick Moranis. We see how these people deal with the struggles of raising their children, as well as their current relationship with their own father and how that plays into it. There is a gentle warmth to this movie that really draws you into it. Everybody's performances manage to be comedic while also feeling fully genuine, and that's a pretty impressive feat. That being said, though, I have trouble remembering individual beats now that it's been a few days since I watched it, even while I was confident I enjoyed it. I wonder if this is one that I am going to be inclined to return to, knowing that it was a good watch but not holding any of the specifics in mind so they will surprise me again. A good film but not a great one.

🎥 Parenthood (1989)
📊 Ranked #1038/4265 on my Flickchart
🎯 Flickscore™: 76

beat 21 (#2009 → #2055)
lost to Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead (#1076 → #1088)
beat National Treasure (#1633 → #1680)
beat Seven Chances (#1360 → #1355)
beat Nina Wu (#1233 → #1215)
beat Forgiving Dr. Mengele (#1132 → #1144)
beat Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (#1149 → #1132)
lost to Re-Animator (#1105 → #1104)
beat National Lampoon's Vacation (#1126 → #1125)
beat The Game (held at #1112)
lost to The Black Cat (#1130 → #1110)
lost to Sisters (#1148 → #923)

No comments: