Friday, July 24, 2026

But I'm a Cheerleader (1999)

IMDb plot summary: A naïve teenager is sent to "sexual redirection" school when her straitlaced parents and friends suspect her of being gay.
Directed by Jamie Babbit. Stars Natasha Lyonne, Clea DuVall, and Melanie Lynskey.

But I'm a Cheerleader stars Natasha Lyonne as a cheerleader who is sent away to a camp for anti-gay conversion therapy -- she didn't even realize she was a lesbian until her family signed her up -- and we follow her journey as she figures out her newly discovered sexuality. This is a wonderful and frequently hilarious satire that also ultimately ends up being pretty sweet. Natasha Lyonne is delightful as this oblivious but well-intentioned character with no self-awareness. The comedy is extremely big and broad but the humanity at the heart of all of it is undeniable. I can easily see why critics didn't love it -- it takes BIG tonal swings that absolutely won't land with everyone -- but also why it became a cult classic. It's a fun ride and I'm glad I got to see it.

🎥 But I'm a Cheerleader (2000)
📊 Ranked #907/4268 on my Flickchart
🎯 Flickscore™: 78

beat Gypsy (#2115 → #2209)
beat Flee (held at #1084)
beat I've Loved You So Long (#561 → #606)
lost to Spirited (#255 → #250)
beat Submarine (#412 → #413)
lost to The Banshees of Inisherin (#330 → #333)
lost to Hundreds of Beavers (#373 → #378)
lost to The Bridge on the River Kwai (#393 → #258)
lost to Morgan (#403 → #396)
lost to Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (#407 → #408)
beat The Boat That Rocked (#410 → #434)
lost to Enchanted April (#408 → #402)

No comments: