Wednesday, July 22, 2026

The Testament of Ann Lee (2025)

IMDb plot summary: Ann Lee, the founding leader of the Shaker Movement, is proclaimed as the female Christ by her followers. This film depicts her establishment of a utopian society and the Shakers' worship through song and dance, based on real events.
Directed by Mona Fastvold. Stars Amanda Seyfried, Lewis Pullman, and Thomasin McKenzie.

The Testament of Ann Lee is a musical telling of the history of the Shakers in 1700s America, starring Amanda Seyfried as their leader, the titular Ann Lee. This is an interesting enough story on its own, but making it a musical adds this whole additional dimension to it that I found really compelling. I really enjoyed how well the repetitive nature of these folk songs and chants mirror sacred liturgy and rituals -- the two serve each other perfectly. The other thing that recommends the film is Seyfried's performance, which is excellent. Those things make it well worth watching, but the overall story doesn't hang together as well as I'd like and makes it fall a little flat in my memory by the very end. It's a very unique movie and I'd definitely recommend it, but I did want to connect with it more than I did ultimately.

🎥 The Testament of Ann Lee (2025)
📊 Ranked #1748/4264 on my Flickchart
🎯 Flickscore™: 60

beat Anna Christie (#2130 → #2298)
beat The Dictator (#1092 → #1089)
lost to Ordet (#565 → #630)
lost to The Player (#829 → #634)
beat Young Adult (#960 → #958)
lost to Companion (held at #894)
lost to Music and Lyrics (#927 → #928)
lost to Happy Death Day (#944 → #824)
beat Kwaidan (#952 → #951)
beat Daria in 'Is It College Yet?' (#948 → #947)
lost to The Substance (held at #946)
beat The Man from Earth (#947 → #1042)

No comments: