Sunday, May 3, 2020

Wimbledon (2004)


IMDb plot summary: A pro tennis player has lost his ambition and has fallen in rank to 119. Fortunately for him, he meets a young player on the women's circuit who helps him recapture his focus for Wimbledon.
Directed by Richard Loncraine. Starring Kirsten Dunst, Paul Bettany, Sam Neill, and Jon Favreau.

I've been reopening myself to loving romantic comedies, a genre I used to think I loathed, and now I'm pretty sure I just dislike bad ones, but mediocre ones are a ton of fun for me. This one's pretty bad, though. The main problem is that we don't really get to know either of the characters and they don't get to know each other, so it's impossible to buy their growing romance or care about it. What do they like and appreciate about each other? Nothing that I can tell. That's like the bare minimum of necessary characterization for a rom com, and this film can't even manage to meet that, so it's a definite dud.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Wimbledon < Yellow Submarine
Wimbledon < La Dolce Vita
Wimbledon > The Lone Ranger
Wimbledon < Green Lantern
Wimbledon < Paradise Now
Wimbledon < The Tribe
Wimbledon > 30 Minutes or Less
Wimbledon > Like Mike
Wimbledon < Short Circuit 2
Wimbledon < The Killing of Sister George
Wimbledon > 8 1/2
Final spot: #2696 out of 3125.

No comments: