Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Escape From New York (1981)


IMDb plot summary: In 1997, when the U.S. president crashes into Manhattan, now a giant maximum security prison, a convicted bank robber is sent in to rescue him.
Directed by John Carpenter. Starring Kurt Russell, Lee Van Cleef, Ernest Borgnine, and Donald Pleasence.

This was a silly fun one. I don't think of myself as particularly liking Kurt Russell as an actor, but I really enjoyed him in both of these. I think I enjoyed him more in Escape because he was the goofiest part of it, whereas he seemed almost normal amid the backdrop of everything else happening in Big Trouble. I loved how ridiculously over-the-top his character was here. I also enjoyed having this steampunky version of New York existing alongside the rest of the normal world.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Escape From New York > Blackmail Is My Life
Escape From New York < The Nanny Diaries
Escape From New York < Dark Shadows
Escape From New York < Rififi
Escape From New York > Wreck-It Ralph
Escape From New York < Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India
Escape From New York < Lucky Number Slevin
Escape From New York > Jumanji
Escape From New York < The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
Escape From New York > The Score
Escape From New York > Kinky Boots the Musical
Escape From New York < Absolute Power
Final spot: #1453 out of 3137.

No comments: