Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Being There (1979)


IMDb plot summary: A simpleminded, sheltered gardener becomes an unlikely trusted advisor to a powerful businessman and an insider in Washington politics.
Directed by Hal Ashby. Starring Peter Sellers, Shirley MacLaine, Melvyn Douglas, and Jack Warden.

This movie didn't really make as much of an impression on me as I expected. I had a tough time getting into the tone of the movie because it took me much longer than it probably was supposed to to trust that this poor out-of-touch character who was clearly incapable of surviving on his own was going to actually be okay. I felt really tense and worried for him for probably 3/4 of the way through the movie, and maybe didn't fully feel like he'd be all right until he miraculously walked across water at the end. Because of that disconnect in tone, I think I missed what the movie was going for. There were moments that made kind of interesting points about how easy it is to kind of BS your way into prominence. But that was more interesting on kind of an intellectual level, and I was too distracted worrying about his wellbeing to really engage with that. Maybe on a second viewing if I was so inclined.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Being There > Happy Gilmore
Being There < Seven Up!
Being There < Dot the I
Being There > Arthur Christmas
Being There < The Pursuit of Happyness
Being There > Mr. Nice Guy
Being There > 300
Being There > Lord of the Flies
Being There > The Tree of Life
Being There < A Star Is Born (1954)
Being There > Black Snake Moan
Final spot: #1275 out of 3130.

No comments: