Friday, May 1, 2020

Marriage Story (2019)


IMDb plot summary: Noah Baumbach's incisive and compassionate look at a marriage breaking up and a family staying together.
Directed by Noah Baumbach. Starring Adam Driver, Scarlett Johansson, Laura Dern, and Azhy Robertson.

I really didn't have very high hopes for this. I often find Noah Baumbach a little too clever in his writing and his characters a little too removed. But this easily the best thing I've ever seen of his. I think it owes most of that to the performances -- Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson bring such a richness to these characters and make them feel like such real people. I also didn't expect it to be quite as funny as it was, but there are a lot of moments of humor that lean into the absurdity of the situation and how awkward everyone feels about it. This one surprised me in a good way, and I'm glad I made space to see it.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Marriage Story > Rosemary's Baby
Marriage Story > Hoodwinked!
Marriage Story > Chariots of Fire
Marriage Story < In the Bedroom
Marriage Story < Nativity!
Marriage Story < Footloose (1984)
Marriage Story < Nosferatu
Marriage Story > Soapdish
Marriage Story < Best in Show
Marriage Story > The Wizard of Oz
Marriage Story > Revengers Tragedy, which is clearly way too high
Marriage Story > Death at a Funeral (2007), also way too high? What's going on with this section of my chart?
Final spot: #372 out of 3121.

No comments: