Friday, May 29, 2020

The Girl on a Motorcycle (1968)


IMDb plot summary: A married woman leaves her husband and zooms off on her motorcycle to see her lover.
Directed by Jack Cardiff. Starring Alain Delon, Marianne Faithfull, Roger Mutton, and Marius Goring.

This seems like the kind of movie I shouldn't like much at all -- trippy flashback scenes, long rambly inner philosophical monologues, heavily dislikable characters -- but somehow it all works, and I think it is in fact the motorcycle that ties it all together for me. The shots of her zooming around on her motorcycle convey such a longing for freedom, while all the scenes in between emphasize how she's unlikely to ever get that freedom. I found it unexpectedly powerful and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it, considering how poorly I usually connect to "vehicle=freedom" metaphors. But for whatever reason, it worked for me here. I'll take it!

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Girl on a Motorcycle > Star!
The Girl on a Motorcycle < The Dark Knight
The Girl on a Motorcycle < The Killing of a Sacred Deer
The Girl on a Motorcycle < Eyes Wide Shut
The Girl on a Motorcycle > Duck Soup
The Girl on a Motorcycle > Nanny McPhee
The Girl on a Motorcycle > We Need to Talk About Kevin
The Girl on a Motorcycle < The Green Mile
The Girl on a Motorcycle < Wide Awake
The Girl on a Motorcycle > Following
The Girl on a Motorcycle > Madame Blueberry
The Girl on a Motorcycle > Children of a Lesser God
Final spot: #1393 out of 3141.

No comments: