Saturday, February 23, 2019

The Sandlot (1993)


IMDb plot summary: In the summer of 1962, a new kid in town is taken under the wing of a young baseball prodigy and his rowdy team, resulting in many adventures.
Directed by David Mickey Evans. Starring Tom Guiry, Mike Vitar, Patrick Renna, and Chauncey Leopardi.

I always associated The Sandlot with The Goonies in my mind. A lot of people I know seemed to love both of them, and for similar reasons, as far as I could tell. Given my distaste for Goonies, I worried The Sandlot would feel similarly unenjoyable, but this is actually pretty well-done. It walks the line of being slightly too precious about childhood at times, but overall it's a solidly built story. I wish we'd gotten a bit more insight into the individual kids, especially given how much the movie is about that bond. But, yeah, this was all right overall.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Sandlot > I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
The Sandlot < Evil Dead II
The Sandlot < The Thing
The Sandlot > Sleepers
The Sandlot < The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
The Sandlot < Judgment at Nuremberg
The Sandlot < The Horse's Mouth
The Sandlot > Finding Forrester
The Sandlot < A Bug's Life
The Sandlot < Journey to the Center of the Earth
The Sandlot > Focus

Final spot: #1264 out of 2921.

No comments: