Saturday, February 2, 2019

A Foreign Affair (1948)


IMDb plot summary: In occupied Berlin, an army captain is torn between an ex-Nazi café singer and the U.S. congresswoman investigating her.
Directed by Billy Wilder. Starring Jean Arthur, Marlene Dietrich, John Lund, and Millard Mitchell.

I don't know a whole lot about the post-World War II situation in Berlin, and found this kind of fascinating as a look at that, especially since the film doesn't paint the US with a blanket coat of perfection. I'm actually significantly more interested in the pieces of the story focusing on that than I am in the love story, which is dated in a less-than-flattering way, depending on stereotypes I find extremely unpleasant and never really elevated beyond them with the acting or the writing. Billy Wilder was one of my favorite screenwriters, but here the jokes don't land for me and I just want to know more about Marlene Dietrich's back story.

How it entered my Flickchart:
A Foreign Affair > Quills
A Foreign Affair < Rock of Ages
A Foreign Affair < The Happening
A Foreign Affair > Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire
A Foreign Affair < The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
A Foreign Affair < The Bishop's Wife
A Foreign Affair < De-Lovely
A Foreign Affair > Steamboat Bill, Jr.
A Foreign Affair > No eres tu, soy yo
A Foreign Affair < Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008)

Final spot: #1257 out of 2912.

No comments: