Sunday, February 17, 2019

BASEketball (1998)


IMDb plot summary: Two childhood friends are pro athletes of a national sport called BASEketball, a hybrid of baseball and basketball, and must deal with a greedy businessman scheming against their team.
Directed by David Zucker. Starring Trey Parker, Matt Stone, Dian Bachar, and Yasmine Bleeth.

My expectations going into this were exceedingly low... but it ended up being not as bad as I expected. Now, don't get me wrong, there's plenty of gross humor in here that does nooooot land with me. Like, a lot of it. But I expected there to be a higher quantity of it. I'd say the silly-to-gross humor ratio is a solid 2:1, which left plenty for me to enjoy. If the movie had cut the more tasteless (not to mention homophobic and transphobic) jokes, there'd still be plenty of content and it'd have worked just fine for me as a goofy comedy. As it is, it's going to have to sit moderately low, but there's some entertaining bits in here, and I had a surprisingly okay time with it.

How it entered my Flickchart:
BASEketball < The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio
BASEketball > Transformers
BASEketball > As Good As It Gets
BASEketball < Dead Man Walking
BASEketball < Hello, Dolly!
BASEketball < Planes, Trains & Automobiles
BASEketball > The Lost Skeleton Returns Again
BASEketball < Birdman of Alcatraz
BASEketball > Our Idiot Brother
BASEketball > Nashville
BASEketball > Aguirre: The Wrath of God

Final spot: #1791 out of 2918.

No comments: