Friday, February 15, 2019

Focus (2015)


IMDb plot summary: In the midst of veteran con man Nicky's latest scheme, a woman from his past - now an accomplished femme fatale - shows up and throws his plans for a loop.
Directed by Glenn Ficarra and John Requa. Starring Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Adrian Martinez, and Gerald McRaney.

So... it took me probably half an hour into the movie for me to realize this wasn't the 2015 movie about Will Smith being a football player with a concussion. (Turns out that movie is called Concussion.) I kept waiting for that twist to happen. That threw me off a bit from the beginning, but eventually I settled into this. I had trouble buying Will Smith and Margot Robbie's chemistry, though -- which is strange, because they're both very charismatic people individually. But the film feels more like it relies on the "ooh, fun" twists and turns than on the relationships built between characters, so all the drama feels a bit forced and the twists aren't quite big enough to make the payoff worth it. I like the vibe they're trying to go for here, I'm just not convinced they fully made it there.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Focus > 12 Monkeys
Focus < Doctor Strange
Focus < The Happening
Focus > The Kids Are All Right
Focus < The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
Focus < Irma La Douce
Focus < Aliens
Focus > Kung Fury
Focus > The Good Dinosaur
Focus < Silent Movie

Final spot: #1258 out of 2916.

No comments: