Sunday, February 24, 2019

Hereditary (2018)


IMDb plot summary: After the family matriarch passes away, a grieving family is haunted by tragic and disturbing occurrences, and begin to unravel dark secrets.
Directed by Ari Aster. Starring Alex Wolff, Gabriel Byrne, Toni Collette, and Milly Shapiro.

(Spoilers ahead.) Maybe my expectations for this were too high, but I found myself slightly disappointed with this one. Some great performances from Toni Collette and Alex Wolff, but the story as a whole lacks the cohesion and the thoughtfulness I ached for in a movie with this title and this premise. It's got some good scares, but the performances are too good to be used on a final narrative with such lack of nuance. And it's too outright depressing to function solely as a great horror movie. Maybe I've been spoiled by the last few years of really intriguing and deep horror hits. I just wanted... more.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Hereditary > Iron Eagle
Hereditary < Evil Dead II
Hereditary < The Help
Hereditary > Seven Chances
Hereditary > Finding Vivian Maier
Hereditary > Hamlet (2009)
Hereditary > Undercover Blues
Hereditary < Bridge of Spies
Hereditary < The Slipper and the Rose
Hereditary < Thor
Hereditary < Josie and the Pussycats
Hereditary > Hamlet (1990)
Final spot: #1117 out of 2924.

No comments: