Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Predator (1987)



IMDb plot summary: A team of commandos on a mission in a Central American jungle find themselves hunted by an extraterrestrial warrior.
Directed by John McTiernan. Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers, Elpidia Carrillo, and Bill Duke.

Predator is one of those movies that's been on my list of movies I should have seen for AGES. I also always link it with Alien in my mind (one of my very favorite movies) because of the later Alien/Predator crossover film (which I also have not seen). But aside from being about someone fighting off an alien creature in an isolated location, the two don't have a lot in common. Alien is a tenser, more suspenseful build, and in general a more engaging horror flick. Predator feels too much like a regular war movie until the last 15 minutes or so. I do like the Predator's design, especially in the final moments once it takes its helmet off. But overall it felt like all the time it spent on buildup were a distraction rather than a build toward anything, and it didn't pay off enough.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Predator < Three Amigos!
Predator < The Trouble With Angels
Predator > The Talk of the Town
Predator > Miss Congeniality
Predator > Scarface (1983)
Predator > The Passion of Joan of Arc
Predator < Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical
Predator > The Out of Towners (1970)
Predator > Alice in Wonderland (1951)
Predator < Red Cliff
Final spot: #2205 out of 2902.

No comments: