Sunday, January 6, 2019

Marjorie Prime (2017)


IMDb plot summary: A service that provides holographic recreations of deceased loved ones allows a woman to come face-to-face with the younger version of her late husband.
Directed by Michael Almereyda. Starring Lois Smith, Geena Davis, Tim Robbins, and Jon Hamm.

The theater I work at produced this play last season, and it remains one of my favorite plays I've ever read. This film adaptation is kind of an odd duck, in that it can't quite decide whether to do just a straightforward adaptation of the (very sit-down-and-talk-y) play, or whether to expand the script further. The result is a sort of awkward mishmash of static dialogue scenes and miniature flashbacks that happen at confusing moments. Of the actors, Geena Davis is the only one whose performance I really love (surprising, since Lois Smith apparently did the original stage production and I'd have expected she'd resonate with me more). It's still an interesting idea and still has some beautiful philosophical musings on memory and technology, but it doesn't pack the same punch as it did for me when I first read the script or saw the theatrical production.

3 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Marjorie Prime > The Matador
Marjorie Prime < A Snoodle's Tale
Marjorie Prime > Lifeforce
Marjorie Prime < Idiocracy
Marjorie Prime < The Glass Menagerie (1973)
Marjorie Prime < A Chorus Line
Marjorie Prime < Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella (1997)
Marjorie Prime > Run Fatboy Run
Marjorie Prime < City Lights
Marjorie Prime > A Midsummer Night's Dream (1999)
Marjorie Prime > Lord of the Flies

Final spot: #1071 out of 2899.

No comments: