Monday, January 21, 2019

Drunken Master (1978)


IMDb plot summary: Wong Fei-Hung is a mischievous, yet righteous young man, but after a series of incidents, his frustrated father has him disciplined by Beggar So, a Master of drunken martial arts.
Directed by Woo-Ping Yuen. Starring Jackie Chan, Siu Tin Yuen, Jung-Lee Hwang, and Dean Shek.

I think I've narrowed in on one of the things that make martial arts movies so unappealing to me. When every scene has to be a setup for the inevitable fight at the end of it, you get a lot of characters who are just constantly aggressive with each other, sometimes for no reason. It's hard to find a likeable character to root for. Jackie Chan is definitely more charismatic than a lot of other martial arts movie leads (and his fight work looks amazing), but even he can't convince me there's any kind of hero in this movie. That being said, I enjoyed the lighter comedic aspects of this, and some of the fight scenes were fun, though they definitely all blur together for me. I liked it more than I anticipated.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Drunken Master < Three Amigos
Drunken Master > It Had to Be You
Drunken Master > Buddy Buddy
Drunken Master > The Robe
Drunken Master < The Bishop's Wife
Drunken Master < Treasures of the Snow
Drunken Master > Whisper of the Heart
Drunken Master > Kagemusha
Drunken Master < Black Snake Moan
Drunken Master > Shrek Retold
Drunken Master < The Sword in the Stone
Final spot: #1596 out of 2905.

No comments: