Sunday, January 27, 2019

Jezebel (1938)


IMDb plot summary: In 1850s Louisiana, a free-spirited Southern belle loses her fiancé due to her stubborn vanity and pride, and vows to win him back.
Directed by William Wyler. Starring Bette Davis, Henry Fonda, George Brent, and Margaret Lindsay.

I've never quite gotten on the Bette Davis love train, and that remains true here. While I like the uncertainty of the film's ending, I find myself largely indifferent to the central character's arc. Everyone just seems extremely unlikable, and I struggle to figure out what to take away from this. It reminds me a lot of Gone With the Wind, but without any of the beautiful cinematography.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Jezebel < Office Space
Jezebel < City Slickers
Jezebel > Dumb and Dumber
Jezebel < Special
Jezebel > Road to Morocco
Jezebel > Dinner for Schmucks
Jezebel > The Name of the Rose
Jezebel > No Reservations
Jezebel > Five Children and It
Jezebel < Miss Congeniality

Final spot: #2369 out of 2908.

No comments: