Saturday, January 5, 2019

Kes (1969)


IMDb plot summary: A young, English working-class boy spends his free time caring for and training his pet falcon.
Directed by Ken Loach. Starring David Bradley, Freddie Fletcher, Lynne Perrie, and Colin Welland.

Watching this movie shortly after The Long Day Closes was interesting, as they're both sort of sprawling coming-of-age stories about young boys in the UK. But while I found myself distantly admiring The Long Day Closes, I got entirely emotionally wrapped up in this kid's story. Maybe because he reminded me of some of the kids I've worked with, and seeing how he was treated by his teachers hit close to home. But toward the end, I found myself tearing up as I saw his story play out. My heart went out completely to this child. It's a deeply moving film -- though I definitely suggest watching it with subtitles. Those Yorkshire accents are not kidding around.

4.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Kes > Frequency
Kes > Zodiac
Kes > Boyhood
Kes > In the Bedroom
Kes < Arsenic and Old Lace
Kes < The Rocketeer
Kes < A Quiet Place
Kes < All About Eve
Kes < Arrival
Kes < This Is Spinal Tap
Kes < Catch Me If You Can
Kes > Take the Money and Run

Final spot: #180 out of 2897.

No comments: