Saturday, January 23, 2016

Sleeping with Other People (2015)


IMDb plot summary: A good-natured womanizer and a serial cheater form a platonic relationship that helps reform them in ways, while a mutual attraction sets in.
Directed by Leslye Headland. Starring Alison Brie, Jason Sudeikis, Adam Scott, and Amanda Peet.

(Spoilers ahead.)

This is a really lovely romance movie with very likable stars and one of the most beautiful "love revealed" moments I think I've ever seen on screen. It does exactly what it is supposed to do and is by turns funny and touching. I don't pay attention to a lot of romantic comedies, but somebody somewhere had mentioned that this was a surprisingly good entry in the genre, and I have to agree. My only complaint would be that I wasn't sure the happy ending was actually necessary - I would have been almost as happy with the two forever off doing their own thing but better people because of their love and friendship for the other. That is a very minor complaint, though, and I'm certainly not going to deny it was incredibly satisfying to see the two leads actually end up together at the end. Overall, nicely done.

4 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Sleeping With Other People > Punch-Drunk Love
Sleeping With Other People > Argo
Sleeping With Other People < The Holiday
Sleeping With Other People < Kiss Me, Stupid!
Sleeping With Other People < The Secret Garden (1987)
Sleeping With Other People > Reservoir Dogs
Sleeping With Other People < Shall We Dance? (1996)
Sleeping With Other People < The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Sleeping With Other People < Double Indemnity
Sleeping With Other People > 9
Sleeping With Other People < Moonrise Kingdom

Final spot: #563 out of 2417, which seems high, but I had no qualms with the match-ups, so I guess it's accurate.

No comments: