Saturday, January 23, 2016

Ghost World (2001)


IMDb plot summary: With only the plan of moving in together after high school, two unusually devious friends seek direction in life. As a mere gag, they respond to a man's newspaper ad for a date, only to find it will greatly complicate their lives.
Directed by Terry Zwigoff. Starring Thora Birch, Scarlett Johansson, Steve Buscemi, and Brad Renfro.

I am... not entirely sold on the greatness of this movie. It all seems to ride on the strength of Enid's character -- and don't get me wrong, she's an amazing character, but the movie mostly leaves us in the same "What now?" limbo as she herself is. And it just left me feeling empty, like I'd spent all this time with her and rooting for her and then just... nothing. It's definitely a movie that could grow on me, but for now it leaves me a little cold.

3 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Ghost World > Camp Rock
Ghost World < Eat Pray Love
Ghost World < A Matter of Life and Death
Ghost World > Imitation of Life
Ghost World > Three Amigos
Ghost World < Wallace & Gromit in A Close Shave
Ghost World > Adam
Ghost World < The Ring
Ghost World < Rachel Getting Married
Ghost World < Lyle, the Kindly Viking
Ghost World > Swing Time

Final spot: #960 out of 2418.

No comments: