Saturday, March 17, 2012

Stage Door Canteen (1943)

Not any quality story going on in this movie, but it's fascinating as a sort of time capsule with some of the greatest performers of the time. A lot of the jokes and references were, I'm sure, lost on me as a 21st century viewer, but it was great fun whenever there was a celebrity I recognized. The problem here is the silly insistence on a contrived plot in between. It'd have been vastly more entertaining as an all-performance show. 2.5 stars.

Best Part: Lots of great performances, but I think Ray Bolger's was probably my favorite.
Worst Part: All those extremely silly plotlines they tried to squeeze in. I wish there had been much less of that.
Flickchart: #1139, below The Swiss Family Robinson and above Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

No comments: