Saturday, March 10, 2012

Contagion (2011)

A very well-done disease outbreak movie. Admittedly, these usually work for me because I have a fairly healthy sense of paranoia already, so they can play into that easily. This one has a pretty impressive celebrity cast, some of which are only on screen for a few minutes before their story is over. I liked the ensemble drama feel of this, however - I liked getting the sense of how all these different people in slightly different areas were affected by the outbreak. And it was certainly a tense movie, as well - right from the very beginning, with all those scenes showing several clearly sick people. Meep. Well done. 4 stars.

Best Part: All the little quick shots of people on the subway, or touching their cups, or coughing... they built up an extremely effective atmosphere of paranoia.
Worst Part: I would have liked a little more resolution of some of those individual plotlines. I say that but it's quite possible that if that had happened,
Flickchart: #372, below Easy A and above Blazing Saddles.

No comments: