Saturday, November 26, 2011

Paul (2011)

Whenever I watch movies like this, I come away thinking, "Man, I enjoy being part of the nerd community." It's a pretty entertaining story anyway, but for those of us who are the kind of people who would actually love to go to Comic-Con (some day I'll have the money and it'll happen), this movie is well worth the watch. It's filled with tributes to great sci-fi movies and is clearly made by people who love this kind of thing. So many movies about nerds are written about nerds rather than by nerds and come off as being a little condescending. Not Paul. It's not a fantastic movie - there are a few moments that just don't work - but it left me with a sort of warm fuzzy feeling. I suspect this is how I as a girl am supposed to feel after watching romantic comedies. :-) 4 stars.

Best Part: "Boring conversation anyway." Nod to one of my favorite Star Wars moments.
Worst Part: It took a lot longer than I'd have liked to adjust to stop hearing Seth Rogen in my head and start hearing the character. It eventually happened, but it was distracting for the first half of the movie or so.
FlickChart: #526, below Good Will Hunting and above I Heart Huckabees.

2 comments:

Raghav said...

I enjoyed the film, but just comparing it to Shaun of the Dead or Hott Fuzz it does fall flat.

Hannah K said...

I didn't like Shaun of the Dead the first time I saw it. It grew on me and *now* I can say I like it better, but it wasn't as fun a first experience as Paul was. I liked Hot Fuzz about the same, maybe slightly better.