Saturday, November 19, 2011

Mickey Blue Eyes (1999)

I wish this movie made sense. It starts off kind of promising, with Hugh Grant playing his typical likable-but-fairly-inept good guy, and I smiled a lot in the first 15-20 minutes or so. But as soon as the girl's family enters the picture, the jokes get cliched and unfunny. If that wasn't bad enough, the story also unravels pretty quickly and by the end I was just left going, "Huh?" Definitely not worth the watch. 1 star.

Best Part: I thought "The La Trattoria" was pretty funny. Would've been funnier if they didn't have to explain it, but the idea of a restaurant named that just tickled me.
Worst Part: The final scene where he explains everything to his girlfriend is utter nonsense. It's as if the screenwriters suddenly remembered they'd forgotten to explain, ya know, any of that, and thought, "Crap, we only have a page left to do that... Well, uh, maybe if he just gives his lame excuse really fast? And she just believes him for no reason? Yeah, that'll work."
FlickChart: #1329, above Bus Stop and below Chicken Little.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I still haven't seen Mickey Blue Eyes, but I have always enjoyed impersonating Hugh Grant saying, "Fughet about it." It never fails to make my friend laugh.

Raghav said...

The movie has its moments, but the comedy scene changed right about the time MBE came out and the rom com with people like Tim Hanks, Hugh Grant, etc... Sort of died.