Saturday, October 15, 2011

Boy A (2007)

Boy A took a little while to engage me, but what ultimately drew me in was Andrew Garfield's marvelous, marvelous performance. I didn't pay much attention to him in The Social Network but he is charming, vulnerable, and utterly believable as the lead in this film. The story circles around him and is best when it's showing him and his reactions to his new surroundings. There are a few moments where the movie seems to get a bit sidetracked, but overall very powerful. Very well-done. 4 stars.

Best Part: Andrew Garfield, all the way.
Worst Part: I didn't always buy into the drama between Terry and his son. Until the end I wasn't sure what it had to do with anything, and so it always felt like I was being pulled away from the story I actually cared about.
FlickChart: #363, above Spirited Away and below Source Code.

1 comment:

Raghav said...

I've only just started reading your blog and I love your short and to the point reviews. Never heard of Boy A but will keep a lookout now.