Sunday, October 9, 2011

Bitter Moon (1992)

Bitter Moon isn't the kind of movie I'd call enjoyable. It's very mean and dark and bitter and unpleasant. Not that I'm against bitter and dark movies... but most of it is also just boring. In the first hour and a half, nothing really happens, and then when something finally did happen I didn't care anymore. Neither the story on the cruise ship or the story in the past gripped my attention or seemed to be anything new until the final third of the movie, when it had long since lost my interest so didn't have the kind of impact I'm sure it was trying to make. Disappointing. 1.5 stars.

Best Part: The dinner date early in the movie had a very nice moment where the two played the sort of silly little game people do all the time - they start imitating each other, seeing how far the other one will go. I really enjoyed that moment.
Worst Part: Any of the cruise ship moments where wheelchair guy set up or commented on the story. "You haven't heard the ending yet." "She wants you to hear her side of the story." It all felt like very forced exposition.
FlickChart: #1209, above War of the Worlds (2005) and below A Time To Kill.

No comments: