Monday, October 17, 2011

A Serious Man (2009)

(Spoilers ahead.) I was all set to love this movie, and I very nearly did. But then it hit the final scene, and all the investment I had in the story just kind of... fizzled. Despite it being a visually wonderful scene, I couldn't find its emotional connection to the rest of the movie, so I just felt unsatisfied. I feel like this is a movie that if I let it settle, and then a few years from now go back and rewatch, it might have a wholly different impact on me. Up until that ending, it was on its way to becoming one of my favorite Coen films. It was a great story told well. I'll have to revisit this in a few years after my opinions on it settle a bit. 3.5 stars.

Best Part: Michael Stuhlbarg was fantastic. I loved watching him react to everything that came his way. I think I particularly liked how he responded to the more minor frustration (in comparison to everything else) of the unwanted record club subscription. Such an easy character for me to connect with.
Worst Part: That ending... and, come to think of it, that beginning...
FlickChart: #515, below Back to the Future 3 and above You Can't Take It With You.

No comments: