Friday, September 30, 2011

The Beaver (2011)

I expected to be mildly entertained by this movie, but I never, ever expected to love it. But, turns out, I do. Mel Gibson turns in an incredible performance, as does Anton Yelchin, who plays his son. This movie is a very moving portrayal of extreme depression. I love how he said it in the movie - something like, "For some people there comes a time when, in order to go on, they have to wipe the slate clean." People who are very unhappy sometimes do crazy things in an attempt to restore themselves. The movie is a *tad* bit too tidy in its resolution, but not in a way that distracted from the overall quality of it. Really, really nicely done. 4.5 stars.

Best Part: I was very moved by the moments where Walter tried desperately to speak but couldn't, and had to resort to using the puppet.
Worst Part: The transitions between Walter's and Porter's stories were really choppy. Although it tied together at the end, for most of the movie I found myself thinking, "And this connects how?"
FlickChart: Landed at #206, right below Chaplin and right above Another Woman. I KNOW it will drop from there over the next few months, but right now that feels about right.

No comments: