Saturday, September 17, 2011

Horrible Bosses (2011)

So much funnier than I expected it to be. There are moments that are undeniably crude (usually not something I like) but although it's crude, it doesn't feel juvenile - it's handled in a very intelligent way, and the rudest moments are some of the funniest. Jason Bateman plays the calmer and saner of the three leads, as he does best, and is hilarious in contrast to Jason Sudeikis and Charlie Day. I saw Colin Farrell just a few weeks ago in the superbly campy Fright Night, and here he once again goes all out with a ridiculous villain role and milks it for all its worth (I have to keep an eye out for this guy - he's so much more interesting than I used to give him credit for). A solidly entertaining comedy, although nothing to write home about... and definitely not one to watch with the family. 3.5 stars.

Best Part: A lot of good moments, but I think Charlie Day's road chase attempt to talk dirty to Jennifer Aniston made me giggle the hardest.
Worst Part: ...I can't think of a moment I didn't like or a joke that fell really flat. That can't be right for a 3.5 star movie. I may have to come back to this section at a later date, after the "that was funnier than I thought!" glow has faded.
FlickChart: Landed at #616, right below The Majestic and right above Quitting. The crap? What's The Majestic doing up in the 600s? That's an 800s movie. Looks like it's time to re-rank...

No comments: