Saturday, September 10, 2011

Happythankyoumoreplease (2010)

Indie comedy dramas are tough to perfect these days. Most of them either slide toward pretension or sentimentality, and, sadly, Happythankyoumoreplease has moments of both. There are some really beautiful stories (Malin Akerman and Tony Hale's is fascinating and beautiful, although I'm *really* waiting for that story gender-switched...but that's never going to happen) and some very good moments. There are also a lot of moments where it was just trying too, too hard. Not a *bad* writing/directing debut for Josh Radnor... but a very mediocre one. Here's hoping he steps up his game in his next project, because the parts I liked, I *really* liked. 3 stars.

Best Part: Although I said I liked Akerman and Hale, I'm pretty sure my actual favorite moments were the couple times Josh Radnor's character was around the kid and said, "F***! ...Don't swear." It was just very nicely done - a little moment of an adult having to adjust his life to a child.
Worst Part: The resolution of the plotline between the two characters who were trying to decide where to live. Didn't ring true for me at all. That plotline was also where most of the movie's worst moments came from.

No comments: