Sunday, July 12, 2020

Solaris (1968)


IMDb plot summary: Kris Kelvin joins the space station orbiting the planet Solaris, only to find its two crew members plagued by "phantoms," creations of Solaris. Kelvin is soon confronted with his own phantom, taking the shape of his dead wife Hari.
Directed by Lidiya Ishimbaeva and Boris Nirenburg. Starring Vasiliy Lanovoy, Antonina Pilyus, Vladimir Etush, and Viktor Zozulin.

This is now the third adaptation of this story I've seen, and it sits right in the middle for me. The narrative itself is a fascinating one, and this one neither obstructs the narrative nor enhances it. From what I can tell it's a very straightforward retelling, and though I don't find myself particularly drawn to or compelled by any of the characters through their performances, I can connect with it on a big picture narrative level. The themes of guilt and loss and humanity are strong in this and come through clearly. I'll still always choose to watch Soderbergh's adaptation over this, but I'm glad I got to see this.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Solaris > Waxwork
Solaris < Victor/Victoria (1982)
Solaris < War Horse
Solaris < I Am Legend
Solaris > Finding Vivian Maier
Solaris < The Call
Solaris > Cambio de ruta
Solaris < Sinbad of the Seven Seas
Solaris < The Blues Brothers
Solaris > Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
Solaris > Charulata
Solaris > Yankee Doodle Dandy
Final spot: #1455 out of 3172.

No comments: