Thursday, July 9, 2020

Great Expectations (1946)


IMDb plot summary: A humble orphan suddenly becomes a gentleman with the help of an unknown benefactor.
Directed by David Lean. Starring John Mills, Tony Wager, Valerie Hobson, and Jean Simmons.

I am so sorry to begin this with a pun but I think I'm obligated to. I had low expectations for Great Expectations. I've read the book and am like 90% sure I saw some random adaptation of it as a child and didn't like either at all, and most Dickens film adaptations sit pretty flat for me. But this one *pops*. The characters are beautifully vivid, and while I'd typically attribute that to the acting, it's that way across the board so I think it must be something about the way David Lean worked with actors. (I remember admiring his Oliver Twist as well, though not quite to this extent.) The cinematography, particularly in the decrepit mansion, is stunning and lends just the right amount of gothic horror without feeling gross. I still think Estella and Pip make a terrible couple and would be much happier if the story didn't end by awkwardly shoving them together, but this is probably the most convincing interpretation of that ending I've seen. Really beautifully done.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Great Expectations > Melinda and Melinda
Great Expectations > Shall We Dance? (2004)
Great Expectations < The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Great Expectations < Big Trouble in Little China
Great Expectations > Taxi Driver
Great Expectations > Ninotchka
Great Expectations > Paul
Great Expectations < The Muppet Movie
Great Expectations < Mars Attacks!
Great Expectations > Rise of the Guardians
Great Expectations > The Incredibles
Great Expectations > Megamind
Final spot: #613 out of 3170.

No comments: