Saturday, July 11, 2020

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)


IMDb plot summary: On the outskirts of Whoville lives a green, revenge-seeking Grinch who plans to ruin Christmas for all of the citizens of the town.
Directed by Ron Howard. Starring Jim Carrey, Taylor Momsen, Jeffrey Tambor, and Christine Baranski.

The original Dr. Seuss story and cartoon starring Boris Karloff is one of my favorites, and I'd heard horrible things about this. And it's pretty bad, but not for the reasons I expected. I figured I'd be irritated by Jim Carrey's over-the-top antics, but while those didn't work for me, none of them dragged on, they were nearly all dumb but quick so I didn't have time to get REALLY irritated at them. I was more irritated by the fact that the movie felt that it needed to give the Whos a redemption arc too, making the Grinch wholly in the right when he decided they needed to have their gifts taken from them. The movie also looks SO ugly, with this hideous snowy haze over the whole thing, which makes the Seussian designs look more nightmarish than playful. To the film's credit, I did laugh once (right at the end, when the Grinch struggled to sing along with the Whos' nonsense words). But yeah, it's a messy one I don't plan to revisit any time soon.

How it entered my Flickchart:
How the Grinch Stole Christmas < Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas < The Chocolate War
How the Grinch Stole Christmas > Seven Pounds
How the Grinch Stole Christmas > Analyze This
How the Grinch Stole Christmas < Persona
How the Grinch Stole Christmas > A Farewell to Fools
How the Grinch Stole Christmas < Premonition
How the Grinch Stole Christmas < Marathon Man
How the Grinch Stole Christmas > Rancho Notorious
How the Grinch Stole Christmas < Lincoln
How the Grinch Stole Christmas < The Black Stallion
How the Grinch Stole Christmas < Start the Revolution Without Me
Final spot: #2520 out of 3171.

No comments: